Cairanne is located on a small hill in the Haut-Vaucluse, between Orange, Bollène and Vaison la Romaine. In turn, property of the Order of the Temple, already powerful in the region, then of the Hospitaliers, Pope John XXII became beneficiary in 1317.
The vineyards above the village offer spectacular panoramic views encompassing Les Dentelles Montmirail hills, Mont Ventoux, the Aygues valley, the Comtat plain and the plain of the Principality of Orange.
In 1929, a small group of wine-growers organised and set themselves a number of objectives, determined to earn AOC status and promote the local wines. They therefore established a Cave Coopérative (cooperative winery), as well as a trade association: the Syndicat Général des Vignerons des Côtes du Rhône. From 1936 the wines were sold under the Appellation d’Origine Contrôlée Côtes du Rhône.