Rasteau is a classic Provencal village perched 200 meters on a hill between plains and forests. Its houses are spread out at the foot of a beautiful twelfth century Romanesque church with the ruins of the castle overlooking the village.
The Rasteau vineyard was reputedly born in 30BC, though the first written documentation of vines dates from the early 11th century. Following a period where little was heard of the wine, it was given a new lease of life by the ecclesiastical community in the Middle Ages: so much so that in the 18th century, the vineyard was one of the largest in the Vaucluse, known mainly for its fortified wines. However, in 1870, phylloxera destroyed the vineyard, and American root-stocks had to be used.
In 1937, the village became part of the Côtes du Rhône AOC.