Village of the Massif d’Uchaux

Village of Chateauneuf du Pape

In construction

A document dating from 1094 testifies to the history of our village under the name of “Castro novo”, which means the “new fortified village”.

In the 13th century, the village is named “Châteauneuf-Calcernier”, “calcernier” indicating the sieved limestone produced in quantity on the commune whose quality and notoriety must have contributed to the economic success of the village of that time.

It was only in 1893, at the request of the mayor Joseph Ducos and his elected representatives, that the village is named “Châteauneuf-du-Pape”, thus referring to this holiday resort of the popes that is the built castle In the fourteenth century at the initiative of Pope John XXII, but also at this time which will mark the first fruits of the renown of its wines.

In construction

Although certainly dating back to the time of the Romans, the cultivation of the vine was mentioned only in 1157, in the most ancient writings found.
The arrival of the Popes in Avignon really breathed new life into the vineyards and it was Clement V who showed his interest in wines from this vineyard.
His successor John XXII, Pope at the origin of the construction of the castle, was the main artisan of the renown of the wines that he called “Wines of the Pope”.
From 1325 to 1334, more than 3,000 liters of wine were sold at the Palais des Papes. There were receptions where many foreign ambassadors were invited. Very quickly, barrels were shipped to Italy, Germany and England but also to the Atlantic.
The barrel gave way to the sale of bottles in the 18th century.
Later, the notion of grape varieties took into account the quality of the wines and it is Joseph Ducos who, after numerous tastings, defines the organoleptic characteristics of grape varieties and determines the typical blend of a Châteauneuf-du- Pope in 4 families of assembly of grape varieties.
The crisis of the phylloxera puts an end to this period pompous at the end of XIXème century, striking the vineyard in 1866.
The vineyard was rebuilt only in 1878.
The surface of the vineyard is growing, production is also growing and the wine trade is booming.
In 1933, the area of appellation and the conditions of production of the Châteauneuf-du-Pape appellation were confirmed during the cassation, thus guaranteeing the quality of the appellation.

Today, 3,200 hectares of vines bear the appellation Châteauneuf-du-Pape and its wines are appreciated all over the world.

Domaine Grand Veneur

Domaine de la Janasse

Domaine de Montpertuis

Domaine Roger Sabon

Domaine de la Charbonnière

Domaine Pierre Usseglio

Château de la Nerthe

Château Rayas

Domaine Charvin

Domaine du Grand Tinel

Domaine Saint Paul

Château de la Font du Loup

Le Vieux Donjon

Domaine Bois de Boursan

Le Clos des Papes

Domaine du Vieux Lazaret

Domaine de Villeneuve