Year 2015

photoyear2015

In construction

A document dating from 1094 testifies to the history of our village under the name of “Castro novo”, which means the “new fortified village”.

In the 13th century, the village is named “Châteauneuf-Calcernier”, “calcernier” indicating the sieved limestone produced in quantity on the commune whose quality and notoriety must have contributed to the economic success of the village of that time.

It was only in 1893, at the request of the mayor Joseph Ducos and his elected representatives, that the village is named “Châteauneuf-du-Pape”, thus referring to this holiday resort of the popes that is the built castle In the fourteenth century at the initiative of Pope John XXII, but also at this time which will mark the first fruits of the renown of its wines.

In construction

Although certainly dating back to the time of the Romans, the cultivation of the vine was mentioned only in 1157, in the most ancient writings found.
The arrival of the Popes in Avignon really breathed new life into the vineyards and it was Clement V who showed his interest in wines from this vineyard.
His successor John XXII, Pope at the origin of the construction of the castle, was the main artisan of the renown of the wines that he called “Wines of the Pope”.
From 1325 to 1334, more than 3,000 liters of wine were sold at the Palais des Papes. There were receptions where many foreign ambassadors were invited. Very quickly, barrels were shipped to Italy, Germany and England but also to the Atlantic.